I offer private tuition, online or in person (if possible), in the following subjects:
- Latin – all levels, including: 11+ and 13+ Common Entrance and scholarship; GCSE; sixth form entry; A-level, IB, Pre-U; Oxbridge and interview preparation; undergraduate; postgraduate.
- Ancient Greek – all levels
- Classical Civilisation – all levels
- Law – LNAT; university applications and interviews
- English Language and Literature: GCSE, A-level, IB
- Writing skills: style, grammar, written communication, and editing
I have been teaching and tutoring Latin, Greek, and Classical Civilisation at university and school level for over a decade. I have taught at Oxford and Warwick universities, as well as at two leading academic secondary schools in London, and Marlboro College, USA. I have also tutored with some of the UK’s top private tutoring agencies. I am currently a Tutor in Classics and Writing at City Lit, London. Courses include:
Approach to teaching
I adopt a Socratic-Platonic approach, in which I tailor my style to the personality of the individual student. I have high expectations of my students, because I believe they can always do better than they might have thought, with a bit of confidence and application. See my article: ‘How Classics can teach about teaching’. As the Roman poet Virgil said, possunt quia posse videntur – ‘they can because they think they can’.
- I have helped 7 students with their application and interview preparation to read Classics at Oxford or Cambridge – all of them were offered places.
- Tutored an international student for the Latin and Greek scholarship exam at Winchester: he obtained the only scholarship available for sixth-form entry.
- Worked with a girl applying for sixth-form entry at Westminster to improve her Latin and Greek papers. She successfully obtained a place there.
- Helped students applying for 13+ entrance at top schools, including Eton and Westminster, to raise their grade on their Latin papers.
- Helped a student obtain a 9 in the first year of the 9-1 GCSE Latin and Greek courses.
- Helped a student to raise her Classical Civilisation A-level grade from B (her prediction) to A.
- “Emma is one of my best tutors. She has a powerful intellect and is able to work effectively with students of all ages. She is particularly skilled at the art of questioning and always gets the best out of the students. She is also reliable, consistent and very personable.” (Former headmistress with whom I worked on an online teaching project)
- “[My daughter] particularly commented that her Latin Teacher was exceptionally good and thought her to have excellent teaching skills which she appreciated.” (Parent of Year 8 student, London)
- “A quick note to let you know that [my son] succeeded in getting an A* in Latin [GCSE] – thanks in large measure to your advice and instruction. Many thanks for all your help.” (Oxford professor and parent of Year 11 student)
- “Hi Emma good results… [my daughter got] As in Latin and Greek … Thank you for all your help. [My daughter] is sad you won’t be here to tutor her next year!” (Parent of Year 12 student, Leicestershire)
Qualifications and references
My highest qualification is a DPhil (doctorate) in Classics from Oxford University.
A full CV and details of referees can be provided upon request.
I have a recent DBS certificate.