I have been teaching and tutoring Latin, Greek, and Classical Civilisation at university and school level for over a decade. I am currently a Tutor in Classics and Writing at City Lit, London.
Approach to teaching
I adopt a Socratic-Platonic approach, in which I tailor my style to the personality of the individual student. I have high expectations of my students, because I believe they can always do better than they might have thought, with a bit of confidence and application. See my article: ‘How Classics can teach about teaching’
As the Roman poet Virgil said, possunt quia posse videntur – ‘they can because they think they can’.
Private tuition: Subjects
• Latin – all levels: 13+ Common Entrance and scholarship; GCSE; sixth form entry; A-level, IB, Pre-U; Oxbridge and interview preparation; undergraduate.
• Ancient Greek – all levels
• Classical Civilisation – all levels
• Law – LNAT; university applications and interviews
• English Language and Literature: GCSE, A-level, IB
I usually teach in London. I also offer residential tuition in the UK and abroad, as well as Skype tuition.
- Tutored six students for entry to Oxford or Cambridge for Classics in the last five years: they all obtained places.
- Helped a boy doing the new 9-1 GCSE Latin and Greek to improve his performance: he obtained a 9 in both subjects.
- Helped a student who was predicted a B on her Classical Civilisation A-level to achieve an A.
- Tutored an international student for the Latin and Greek scholarship exam at Winchester: he obtained the only scholarship available for sixth-form entry.
- Worked with a girl applying for sixth-form entry at Westminster to improve her Latin and Greek papers. She successfully obtained a place there.
- Helped students applying for 13+ entrance at top schools, including Eton and Westminster, to raise their grade on their Latin papers.
- “Emma is one of my best tutors. She has a powerful intellect and is able to work effectively with students of all ages. She is particularly skilled at the art of questioning and always gets the best out of the students. She is also reliable, consistent and very personable.” (Former headmistress, with whom I worked on an independent teaching project)
- “[My daughter] particularly commented that her Latin Teacher was exceptionally good and thought her to have excellent teaching skills which she appreciated.” (Parent of Year 8 student, London)
- “A quick note to let you know that [my son] succeeded in getting an A* in Latin [GCSE] – thanks in large measure to your advice and instruction. Many thanks for all your help.” (Parent of Year 11 student, Oxford)
- “Hi Emma good results… [my daughter got] As in Latin and Greek … Thank you for all your help. [My daughter] is sad you won’t be here to tutor her next year!” (Parent of Year 12 student, Leicestershire)
Qualifications and references
My highest qualification is a DPhil (doctorate) in Classics from Oxford University.
A full CV and details of referees can be provided upon request.
I have a recent DBS certificate.
Fees and further information
My rates are competitive, as I do not need to charge agency commission.