I have been teaching and tutoring Latin, Greek, and Classical Civilisation at university level since 2008, and at school level (ages 11-18) since 2012. I have also tutored sixth-form students for Law, and secondary school students in English. I have worked as a Senior Tutor at a number of leading London tuition agencies.
Approach to teaching
I adopt a Socratic-Platonic approach, in which I tailor my style to the personality of the individual student. I have high expectations of my students, because I believe they can always do better than they might have thought, with a bit of confidence and application. See my article: ‘How Classics can teach about teaching’
As Virgil said, possunt quia posse videntur – ‘they can because they think they can’.
Private tuition: Subjects
• Latin – all levels: 13+ Common Entrance and scholarship; GCSE; sixth form entry; A-level, IB, Pre-U; Oxbridge and interview preparation; undergraduate.
• Ancient Greek – all levels
• Classical Civilisation – all levels
• Law – LNAT; university applications and interviews
• English Language and Literature: GCSE, A-level, IB
I usually teach in London, where I am based. I also offer residential tuition in the UK and abroad, as well as Skype tuition.
- Tutored four students for Oxbridge entry for Classics in the last four years: they all obtained a place at an Oxbridge college.
- Helped a boy doing the new 9-1 GCSE Latin and Greek to improve his performance: he obtained a 9 in both subjects.
- Helped a student who was predicted a B on her Classical Civilisation A-level to achieve an A.
- Tutored an international student for the Latin and Greek scholarship exam at Winchester: he obtained the only scholarship available for sixth-form entry.
- Worked with a girl applying for sixth-form entry at Westminster to improve her Latin and Greek papers, and successfully obtain a place there.
- Helped students applying for 13+ entrance at top schools, including Eton and Westminster, to raise their grade on their Latin papers.
- “Emma is one of my best tutors. She has a powerful intellect and is able to work effectively with students of all ages. She is particularly skilled at the art of questioning and always gets the best out of the students. She is also reliable, consistent and very personable.” (Former headmistress, with whom I worked on an independent teaching project)
- “[My daughter] particularly commented that her Latin Teacher was exceptionally good and thought her to have excellent teaching skills which she appreciated.” (Parent of Year 8 student, London)
- “A quick note to let you know that [my son] succeeded in getting an A* in Latin [GCSE] – thanks in large measure to your advice and instruction. Many thanks for all your help.” (Parent of Year 11 student, Oxford)
- “Hi Emma good results… [my daughter got] As in Latin and Greek … Thank you for all your help. [My daughter] is sad you won’t be here to tutor her next year!” (Parent of Year 12 student, Market Harborough)
Higher education institutions: Warwick and Oxford Universities, and Marlboro College, USA.
Private tuition: in Latin, Greek and Classical Civilisation at 13+ scholarship, Common Entrance, GCSE, sixth form entrance and scholarship, A-level, Pre-U, IB, Oxbridge entrance, and undergraduate level.
School teaching: I have recently worked as Teacher of Classics at two leading independent schools in London.
Law: I have also trained as a barrister, and have experience preparing students for the LNAT, as well as for university applications and interviews.
English Language and Literature: I have tutored students for GCSE and IB English literature.
EFL: I have taught English courses to Chinese undergraduates in Tsinghua University, Beijing, and to Italian children on a summer camp.
BA (Hons), MSt, DPhil – Classics (Oxford)
Graduate Diploma in Law; Postgraduate Diploma in Professional Legal Skills (City University, London)
A full CV can be provided upon request.
Details of referees can be provided upon request.
I have a recent DBS certificate.
Fees and further information
My rates are competitive, as I do not need to charge agency commission.